Former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain hospitalized with Covid-19

Herman Cain

Daniel Acker | Bloomberg | Getty Images

Herman Cain, the Godfather’s Pizza magnate who twice ran for president and was briefly considered as a potential Federal Reserve Board nominee under President Donald Trump, was hospitalized Wednesday and is being treated for the coronavirus.

Cain, 74, was told Monday that he had tested positive for the disease, according to a statement posted to his official Twitter account. By Wednesday, he “had developed symptoms serious enough that he required hospitalization,” the statement said.

Cain is currently being treated at an Atlanta-area hospital, the statement said, where he is “resting comfortably” and is “awake and alert.”

Cain is not on a ventilator and is doing well, his staff told Newsmax, the conservative news outlet where Cain has worked as a contributor since April.

A spokeswoman for Cain could not immediately be reached for comment.

Last month, Cain attended Trump’s much-hyped rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which was billed to be the kickoff event for the president’s reelection bid after the coronavirus pandemic forced him off the campaign trail for months.

Critics, including local public health officials, had urged Trump to postpone the rally, warning that hosting a large gathering of people could spread the disease.

Cain posted a photograph of himself at the June 20 rally sitting in close proximity to other attendees, none of whom appeared to be wearing masks, as many health officials currently advise.

Days later, Cain wrote in an op-ed for The Western Journal that “the media worked very hard to scare people out of attending the Trump campaign rally last Saturday night in Tulsa.” Cain wrote that the rally was a success and disputed criticisms about underwhelming turnout at the event.

At least half a dozen member of Trump’s campaign staff who helped prepare the rally in Tulsa had tested positive for the coronavirus before the event. The campaign assured at the time that “no COVID-positive staffers or anyone in immediate contact will be at today’s rally or near attendees and elected officials.”

In the statement on Twitter, Cain’s staff wrote, “There is no way of knowing for sure how or where Mr. Cain contracted the coronavirus, but we do know he is a fighter who has beaten Stage 4 cancer.”

“With God’s help, we are confident he will make a quick and complete recovery,” the statement said.

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.

Leave a Reply

Back to top